Saturday, November 26, 2016

Ohio State 77 Bowling Green 10

     Saturday Ohio State faced off with Bowling Green. The Buckeyes came in as 28 point favorites. My initial feeling was that Ohio State would hover right around that 28 point margin of victory, I was very wrong. 


OFFENSE

     The Buckeyes ended up putting up 77 points and setting a school record with 776 yards of total offense. To me this was unexpected, my predictions were right around 42-49 points scored. It's not often that the Buckeyes can pleasantly surprise me as I always keep lofty expectations. The players that really stood out to me were the two running backs, Curtis Samuel and Mike Weber. Samuel had close to 300 yards single-handily, and Weber rushed for 139 yards in his Buckeye debut. Weber easily could've broke the 200 mark if not for several shoestring tackles. Besides for the early pick six, JT Barrett shined as he broke the school record with 7 touchdowns accounted for (6 passing, 1 rushing). The Buckeyes should great depth at the WR position as players such as James Clark, KJ Hill and Johnnie Dixon all made contributions.

Grade - A+

Defense

     Losing the likes of players like Joey Bosa, Vonn Bell, Darron Lee and Eli Apple would normally kill a defense. With this in mind my expectations for the defense were a little less optimistic than most. To be honest I'm still not sold. When Bowling executed they saw success, however Bowling Green failed to execute almost all game. Was that in part due to our defense? Possibly. I however believe that Tulsa will give our defense a better test.

Grade - A


Reflection:

This week one win ended up being one of our best performances offensively all year. the 776 yards looks incredible compared to how this offense fared against the likes of Michigan State and Penn State. It turns out BGSU wasn't all that great and finished 4-8
     

No comments:

Post a Comment